Biography coming soon
“Miss Jester leads the BIPPS Hand and Upper Limb Unit Research and is the Clinical Director of the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Birmingham Children’s Hospital
There are multiple research interests at the Hand and Upper Limb Unit. Within the last two years we were able to secure funding for several ongoing projects. Several smaller and longer lasting studies are currently being undertaken.
Current research interests which are funded by national charitable bodies include the development of comprehensible hand and upper limb assessment tools for children.
A large project is based in the evaluation of hand function in children suffering from Mucopolysaccharidosis and Niemann-Pick C disease.
In cooperation with the Department of Medical Genetics at the University of Birmingham, we are in the process of developing a database for children with hand and foot differences.
There are interesting cooperations between the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Birmingham developing new ways of movement assessment. Further projects include a multi-center study into the prevalence of neonatal limb ischemia.
This short summary provides only a short overview over the audit and research activities at the hand and upper limb unit and will hopefully spark interests in collaboration.”
Naiem Moiemen, MB BS FRCS (Plast) is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon based in Birmingham. Naiem has had a long career as a Burns Surgeon and has considerable experience in both clinical practice and research associated with the management of burn injuries. He is Director of the Healing Foundation Centre for Burn Research, an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Birmingham, and Secretary of the International Society for Burn Injury.
Since being awarded my PhD by Cardiff University for my research thesis, funded by the Healing Foundation in partnership with the Welsh Office for Research and Development, I have been appointed as a Speciality Trainee in Burns and Plastic Surgery in the West Midlands and also as an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham Dental School. My clinical work has allowed me to gain experience at one of UK’s largest teaching hospitals, within the regional burns centre at the University Hospital of Birmingham, as well as at the regional cleft lip and palate service at the Birmingham Children’s Hospital. It is through this work that I am currently engaged as Principle Investigator in a project focusing on the cellular interactions in the treatment of cleft palate, using techniques and concepts developed from my PhD thesis.
Publications from my PhD thesis:
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Hart J, Bell A, Duncan R, Thomas DW. The effect of dextrin-rhEGF on the healing of full-thickness excisional wounds in the (db/db) diabetic mouse. J Control Release 2011;152:411-417.
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Song B, Thomas DW. Investigation of the potential of polymer therapeutics in corneal re-epithelialisation. Br J Ophthalmol 2010;94:1566-1570.
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Stephens P, Harding K, Duncan R, Thomas DW. Bioresponsive Dextrin-rhEGF Conjugates: In Vitro Evaluation as a Potential Treatment for Chronic Wounds. Mol Pharm 2010;7:699-707.
- Hardwicke J, Schmaljohann D, Boyce D, Thomas DW. Epidermal growth factor and wound healing – past, present and future perspectives. Surgeon 2008;6:172-177.
- Hardwicke J, Ferguson E, Moseley R, Stephens P, Thomas DW, Duncan R. Dextrin-rhEGF conjugates as bioresponsive nanomedicines for wound repair. J Control Release 2008;130:275-283 Editorial article – discussed in J Control Release 2008;130:201.
Prizes from my PhD thesis:
- Sankey Research Prize. Sankey clinico-pathological club, Birmingham, 2011.
- Burns and Plastic Surgery Jackson Prize. Society of Academic & Research Surgery (SARS), London, 2010.
- Poster Presentation Prize. 2nd Metabolism, Regeneration and Repair Inter-Disciplinary Research Group Meeting, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2008.
- Oral Presentation Prize. 6th Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair (CITER) Annual Meeting, Abergavenny, 2007.
- International Poster Prize. International Symposium on Polymer Therapeutics, Berlin, 2007.
- Oral Presentation Prize. Metabolism, Regeneration and Repair Inter-Disciplinary Research Group Meeting, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2007.
- Young Investigators’ Poster Presentation Prize. 5th Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair (CITER) Annual Meeting, Abergavenny, 2006.
- Oral Presentation Prize. 21st Annual Postgraduate Research Day, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2006.