Since being awarded my PhD by Cardiff University for my research thesis, funded by the Healing Foundation in partnership with the Welsh Office for Research and Development, I have been appointed as a Speciality Trainee in Burns and Plastic Surgery in the West Midlands and also as an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham Dental School. My clinical work has allowed me to gain experience at one of UK’s largest teaching hospitals, within the regional burns centre at the University Hospital of Birmingham, as well as at the regional cleft lip and palate service at the Birmingham Children’s Hospital. It is through this work that I am currently engaged as Principle Investigator in a project focusing on the cellular interactions in the treatment of cleft palate, using techniques and concepts developed from my PhD thesis.
Publications from my PhD thesis:
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Hart J, Bell A, Duncan R, Thomas DW. The effect of dextrin-rhEGF on the healing of full-thickness excisional wounds in the (db/db) diabetic mouse. J Control Release 2011;152:411-417.
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Song B, Thomas DW. Investigation of the potential of polymer therapeutics in corneal re-epithelialisation. Br J Ophthalmol 2010;94:1566-1570.
- Hardwicke J, Moseley R, Stephens P, Harding K, Duncan R, Thomas DW. Bioresponsive Dextrin-rhEGF Conjugates: In Vitro Evaluation as a Potential Treatment for Chronic Wounds. Mol Pharm 2010;7:699-707.
- Hardwicke J, Schmaljohann D, Boyce D, Thomas DW. Epidermal growth factor and wound healing – past, present and future perspectives. Surgeon 2008;6:172-177.
- Hardwicke J, Ferguson E, Moseley R, Stephens P, Thomas DW, Duncan R. Dextrin-rhEGF conjugates as bioresponsive nanomedicines for wound repair. J Control Release 2008;130:275-283 Editorial article – discussed in J Control Release 2008;130:201.
Prizes from my PhD thesis:
- Sankey Research Prize. Sankey clinico-pathological club, Birmingham, 2011.
- Burns and Plastic Surgery Jackson Prize. Society of Academic & Research Surgery (SARS), London, 2010.
- Poster Presentation Prize. 2nd Metabolism, Regeneration and Repair Inter-Disciplinary Research Group Meeting, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2008.
- Oral Presentation Prize. 6th Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair (CITER) Annual Meeting, Abergavenny, 2007.
- International Poster Prize. International Symposium on Polymer Therapeutics, Berlin, 2007.
- Oral Presentation Prize. Metabolism, Regeneration and Repair Inter-Disciplinary Research Group Meeting, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2007.
- Young Investigators’ Poster Presentation Prize. 5th Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair (CITER) Annual Meeting, Abergavenny, 2006.
- Oral Presentation Prize. 21st Annual Postgraduate Research Day, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, 2006.